I recently worked with a client, let’s call her Francesca*. She had her work wardrobe down pat and felt empowered and confident every day of the week.
Except Saturday and Sunday.
And anytime she got dressed to go on a date with her boyfriend.
Or go out with friends…
The reality of her closet made her dread off-duty time and she was seeking fast, easy-fix style solutions at places like Target and H&M, which she had identified was making the situation worse.
She knew there was a gaping hole in her wardrobe. But, because it represented her personal life, and not “professional,” she was seeking fast-fashion solutions that compromised her self-worth.
Lack was holding her back.
Her closet was not in HARMONY.
She didn’t feel worthy of looking and feeling beautiful and powerful in the clothes she wore to restore herself on the weekends.
As an entrepreneur she thought that only her work wardrobe deserved attention.
Listening to her, I identified viscerally with her struggle and was transported to a time that was easy to re-live emotionally, when I didn’t want to get out of bed on a Saturday morning because I felt like I didn’t have anything to wear.
Lack was holding me back.
I wanted it to be Monday when things were more clear-cut and I knew exactly what to wear.
These experiences, the ones I have lived myself or helped my clients overcome, drives me in my work as a personal stylist and also lead to my design of the Style Archetypes™ as a way to understand the most effective way for women to express themselves through their clothing.
Francesca was exhibiting a strong CEO Style Archetype™ but so many of the other six archetypes were out of balance which was interfering with her living life to the fullest – ummm hello? Not wanting to go out with her boyfriend and her friends because she didn’t like the clothes she had to wear for this activities?
Her DANCER needed attention, the energy that would enable her to embrace her curves, and her GYPSY was calling for liberation.
After our session, Francesca now cultivates her style with pieces from stores that support the newfound vision of herself.
She now has a closet that supports her life and lifestyle.
*I highly value the confidentiality of my clients and thus all names have been changed.
On April 27, 2019 I am hosting a Style Archetype™ Workshop at my Downtown Boston studio.
I will be unveiling a whole new way to understand what is YOU and how to harness the power of your current closet and make the best decisions possible in future purchases.
CLICK HERE for more information and to sign up.
These “tenets” came to me as a proverbial download in March of 2018.
Mostly it’s advice I give myself – sometimes that is the best advice of all.
Presented in 4 parts:
1) (PL)EASE – say it with ease
2) Open-hearted benevolence
3) Help others, and self, when needed and possible
4) Feels at home anywhere and helps others feel the same
5) Relishes earthly possessions but is not tied to them
6) Values health above all else
7) Views self as an open channel to give and receive love and light; the body is a temple, the home for the soul
8) Knows there is always more to learn and isn’t afraid to get “dirty” doing it
9) Looks at each day as a reason to celebrate
10) I ALWAYS KNOW I CAN (I never thought I couldn’t)
1) (PL)EASE – say it with ease; this word opens the world and literally makes everything easier – say it to others, say it to yourself.
2) Open-hearted benevolence – you ever know where you can do good or from where, or whom, good will be done to you. Do good, be good but do what is best for you.
3) Help others, and self, when needed and possible – you never know who you can help or, conversely, who can help you.
4) Feels at home anywhere and helps others feel the same – observe your surroundings, assimilate and stand out with confidence; take care of those who feel less comfortable than you.
5) Relishes earthly possessions but is not tied to them – enjoys clothing, accessories, luxuries of all sorts, experiences, travel but nothing defines her or weighs her down. The saying holds weight here: you can’t take it with you so live life to the fullest NOW. Enjoy with joy.
6) Values health above all else – the body is a temple, the home for your soul. Worship it, love it and it will love you back.
7) Views self as an open channel to give, and receive, love and light
8) Knows there is always more to learn – education never ends; expansion is eternal.
9) Looks at each day as a reason to celebrate – everyday truly is your BIRTHDAY. There was no assurance you would wake up today and what if today is your final day on earth? Do you want to spend it denying who you are? What you can contribute
10) I ALWAYS KNOW I CAN – total confidence, no expectations, on her one schedule. I never thought I couldn’t
1) (PL)EASE – this word opens the world, everything is easy when you open up Tom needing help. It’s easier to say thank you but please is eternally more profitable. EASE comes from saying PLEASE.
2) Open-hearted benevolence – you never know who you can help, you ever know who you can help, or conversely, who can help you. Everyone has something to teach us about the world, about ourselves. Keep an open heart, an open mind.
3) Help others, and self, when needed and possible – do good, be good but do what is best for you
4) Feels at home anywhere and helps others feel the same – observe your surroundings, assimilate and stand out with confidence; take care of those who feel less comfortable than you; build confidence in others and show that you are comfortable anywhere. LEAVE NO TRACE OTHER THAN ON THE HEARTS OF THOSE AROUND YOU.
5) Relishes earthly possessions but is not tied to them – enjoys clothing, accessories, luxuries of all sorts, experiences travel but nothing defines her or weighs her down. Experiences spirituality in the ritual of getting dressed and expressing individuality.
6) Views self as an open channel to give, and receive, love and light by valuing health above all else – the body is a temple, the home for your soul. Worship it, love it and it will love you back. If you don’t have your health, you have nothing; if you don’t have health, channels shut down.
7) Knows there is always more to learn – education never ends; expansion is eternal.
8) SHARE – express who you are and it will inspire others to do the same.
9) Looks at each day as a reason to celebrate – everyday truly is a BIRTHDAY
10) Says: I ALWAYS KNOW I CAN – total confidence, no expectations, on her own schedule. Positivity translation of: I never thought I couldn’t. Leave room for deciding when but always knowing you CAN if you decide you WILL.
Photography by Sonya Highfield